The Library aims to be at the centre of the school. It is our belief that encouraging a life-long love of reading is paramount to helping our pupils achieve their full potential in life.
The Library is run by our librarian, Mrs Dearden, and 18 enthusiastic and knowledgeable pupil librarians. It is very popular with our pupils and is a hive of activity at break time and lunch time.
The library is open to pupils and staff at break and lunchtime every day and after school for Homework Club (until 4.30 pm) Monday - Thursday.
- To promote, encourage and inspire reading for pleasure.
- To inform pupils on how to use a library to its full potential.
- To provide access to information for curriculum support.
- To provide a positive, nurturing and welcoming learning environment.
- Over 3,000 books of fiction and non-fiction
- Careers Information, College and University Prospectuses
- 32 computers available for pupils and staff to use
- ipad use in the library for homework, reading a book or Firefly tasks
- Secure ipad storage and charging facility
Teachers can book the library for lessons.
We have regular author visits and literary events.
Our library is getting bigger! We accept donations of fiction books less than 2 years old, and non-fiction books less than 5 years old.
Lancashire Book of the Year 2017
Archbishop Temple School has been chosen as a judging school for the Lancashire Book of the Year 2017.
Lancashire Book of the Year Award is the longest running regional book award in the country. The award remains one of the few book awards in the country in which young people themselves are solely responsible for choosing both the shortlist and the overall winning book.
The award is voted for by Year 9 students in twelve high schools around the county. Each school is given a collection of books, submitted by publishers as being the best books they had produced for the 12-14 age group. The young people then read and shortlist the books before choosing the overall winner.
We have been encouraging our pupils to write reviews of the books and we will be sharing them online. We hope that you enjoy reading them!